First of all, the trip was WONDERFUL. Not only did we get out of 3 days of school (University- excused!) but I couldn't have picked a more fun and agreeable group to lead. As I explained in the previous post, I was responsible for planning and making sure our group of 30 got to all meetings and events (half of which had never been to DC before) that I had gotten set up for us that week. I should preface that I only lived in DC for one summer (most of which was spent following other people that actually knew what was going on around) and I am one of the most incompetent people on the face of the earth when it comes to maps/directions. Needless to say, I got stressed out a few times. Other than that, the trip couldn't have gone any better. I am truly amazed at how fast a group of college students can switch from professional-mode to fifth-grade-mode...in an instant. Let me explain. I don't know if anyone remembers playing this game as a kid (I didn't ever play it, but I unfortunately caught on really fast), but it is basically if you see someone hold out a circle with their h
ands anywhere below their waist, they automatically get to punch you in the arm. (it got brutal...see my bruise??) pretty immature huh? It gets better. Not only did we have a continuous game of "circle-punch" going all week, but we also played a game called "Blow Dart." The point of this game is even more ridiculous...if you make eye-contact with someone, they can PRETEND blow a
dart at you and you are required to fall WHEREVER you happen to be at the time until someone comes over and "pulls the dart out." Try to imagine this game being played by 20 something college students in places like the Capitol, on the Metro, at receptions, etc. (see picture to the right for a visual) OUT OF CONTROL. but so fun...I honestly felt like I was on a fifth-grade field trip half the time. The other half of the time we spent talking politics and being very professional (we had to call immunity from the blow-dart game while in meetings) and meeting tons of important people in DC. As much as i LOVE DC and had so much fun, I was definitely glad to see that Starkville City Limits sign on Sunday...how am I going to leave this place in May?!?Here are a few pictures from the weekend (as promised)



The Group at the Pentagon
at Buca our last night in DC Some of my favorites out on the Hill



No comments:
Post a Comment