earlier this summer, me and some friends decided one weekend to float the river for the day (a very popular summer activity in Austin) so we loaded up in two cars and headed for San Marcos for some fun. now, floating the river with SEVEN boys (and no girls) may seem like Heaven to some girls...but not this girl. I was down in the dumps this particular day because of the apparent lack of good girl friends I had in Austin this summer, and although my guy friends are truly amazing, they just aren't the same...you know what i mean, girls?!
SO, as I am moping around on the river and half-listening to the guys talk about golf, girls, and whatever else a group of guys talk about when together on the river, I get an idea....why not MAKE some new girl friends while I have this 6+ hours out on the river?? so i set off on my new mission....and it didnt take very long. Before long, I was floating next to huge groups of people, getting free drinks and chatting it up with everyone in sight. loving life. Then....bam...i bump into a group of like EIGHT or so girls floating all together and being super fun. I immediately knew I had to stay with their group....they looked classy (rare for the San Marcos river) and were super friendly to me right away. I spent the rest of the day attached to their tubes, talking about life, laughing at the not-so-classy people on the river, and introducing them to "my boys" so our groups could merge together. At the end of the day, we all managed to memorize each other's phone numbers long enough to make it back to our respective cars and put them in our phones. We all called each other shortly thereafter, and our friendships were officially confirmed!
We have spent the rest of the summer texting/facebook chatting at work, going to church together, eating downtown on our lunch breaks, going out...and we are going to the lake tomorrow! we're planning on wrapping the summer up with one last float trip next weekend...it only seems appropriate to end right where we started. So it's true...you can make friends ANYWHERE as long as you're willing to make a little effort!
me and the girls (natalie, jehan and bonnie) at dinner downtown


No comments:
Post a Comment