Monday, February 4, 2008

some perspective

second post of the day...go me.

i heard this story in church yesterday and wanted to share it with my readers...really makes you wonder which twin you would be...

There was a family that had two twin boys, and these boys were complete opposites in every way except for their looks. One liked sports, one liked theatre...one was outgoing, one was a home-body, etc. etc. The most important difference in the boys (for the purpose of this story, at least) was that one was an extreme optimist and the other one an eternal pessimist. The father of these boys decided to try out a little test on his boys for their birthday to see how they would each react. In the pessimist's room, the father covered the room in every kind of toy and game imaginable...and in the optimist's room, he covered the room in only manure. The next morning, the father went into his sons' rooms to see their reaction to their surprises. As he walked into the pessimistic twin's room, he found his son sitting on the ground crying. When he asked what the matter was, his son explained that because he had all of those toys, his friends were going to be jealous and mad at him...and on top of that, he was going to have to read through all of the manuals, replace the batteries so often, and the toys would all eventually break anyway. As he walked into his other son's (the optimist) room, he found this son jumping up and down in the manure laughing. Confused, the father asked the son why he was so excited. The optimistic son replied....With all of this manure, there has GOT to be a pony around here somewhere!!

wow. That really makes me think about all the times I have been sitting in a pile of toys whining about putting together manuals...or even worse, when I have been surrounded by manure and never realizing the "pony" that is somewhere in my situation. I hope this means as much to y'all as it did to me.

1 comment:

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

I liked that story too. Now that I know you have a blog, I'll be stopping by every now and then. Thanks for the tip on the Canon. We're having a love affair with it.