Thursday, February 14, 2008

yack.

it's valentine's day. flowers. teddy bears. cards. chocolate. dates. wooo hooo. (insert sarcasm). i have revolted against V-day for quite a few years now....it's so pointless to me (except for the massive amounts of candy given out) but maybe that's just because I have never actually had a true "Valentine," at least not since those awkward jr. high/high school relationships that were just pointless in themselves. However, my wonderful parents have never let me go valentine-less...and this year was no exception. I had to go to Summit, MS last night to participate in a debate between the 3rd Congressional district candidates (I served as a Panelist and had SO much fun!) and when I got home LATE last night, I walked into my bedroom to find a vase full of pink tulips and a sweet card from my Daddy! He had snuck in my house while I was gone and put them where I would be able to see them right when I walked in..what a good man. And this morning, I came into work to find a present on my desk and some red and pink balloons from my mom! They are great at making me feel special all of the time, but days like this sometimes can get hard on us single girls and I am so glad God has sent me encouragement in my singleness through my parents. (yes, I am STILL....technically...on my guy-break....6 months going strong!! maybe I will celebrate THAT tonight?!)

As much as I really am content being "single" right now, it does help that I have so many guy friends to call up and hang out with whenever I'm feeling a little low. The othe
r night, me and Mary Annette-my roommate- made some home-made Valentines out of construction paper and sharpies. While she was making one for her bf, I decided to make one for Jake, my BESTEST guy-friend. I should preface the picture by stating that he was watching me make it and wouldn't go home until I had finished it (right then), so I was feeling a TINY bit rushed...(I am going to make a few more this afternoon and hopefully those will turn out a little better)...but I think he liked his just fine.

This afternoon is Dudy-Gras. For all my non-State readers, Dudy Noble is the name of the field that the MSU baseball team plays on and is also the home to LEFT FIELD LOUNGE...the single greatest place in Starkville, and possibly the world. Left field lounge is State's version of baseball-tailgating. I cannot even really give it a just description because it is just that wonderful. ..just imagine old trailers with
stadium-style wooden seats positioned all around the outfield area of a baseball field, and add thousands of students and fans all seated on and around the trailers cooking out on grills with plenty of cold "beverages"in hand on a beautiful southern spring afternoon....heaven on earth. WELL.....Dudy-gras is a new tradition in Starkville where all of the trailers meet up at Ricks and parade down through the Cotton District onto campus on their way to officially set up the trailers for the season. Me and Jake just happened to be sitting on my balcony in the Cotton District last year when we saw this gloriousness go by, and we are determined to make this a lasting tradition around the cotton district. I have already invited like 20 people over to the balcony to watch the parade today, including CARLEY ACY, my long-time best friend, who's BIRTHDAY happens to be today!!!!! She's turning 23 today, and is one day away from closing on her NEW HOUSE....wow, my friends sure are growing up fast!!!! Congrats, Car...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Turns out, Valentines Day may be a good one after all....

No comments: