Thursday, December 20, 2007

i'm goin' to jackson.....a tribute to johnny cash

ok, this isn't really a tribute to Johnny Cash. although, i did pay tribute to him earlier this semester at the Johnny Cash "Flower Pickin' Festival" in downtown Starkville, at which i saw his sister, Joanne Cash, perform a very awkward gospel service (thanks to someone other than a member of the Cash family)...but that's another story entirely, and once again, i have managed to immediately wander off topic. My point is, I went to Jackson this week. I went to see some good friends and pick my little brother up from the airport. I got an early start on my visit when my friend, Margaret, called me Tuesday morning and insisted that I come that night and go to a prayer meeting with her at her friend's house. She said the meetings have been really powerful...like on the level of Bethel, so of course I dropped all of my SUPER important work and threw some stuff in my bag and took off towards jack-town. Let me just say, the prayer meeting (which lasted 3 hours) did not disappoint. I am officially obsessed with Margaret's Jackson friends. We spent the rest of the night laying in the bed and talking about everything under the sun...I had to attempt to sing myself to sleep because she wouldn't sing for me, which kinda pissed me off, but I got her back with an "updog" joke I told as we were going to sleep, which she TOTALLY fell for. classic. I am going to miss her SO much when she leaves for Australia!! I am going to go ahead and bet that she goes there, falls in love with the first Aussie she meets, and lives happily ever after writing and singing music with her mate (literally) in the down under. But that's just my bet. Anyway, the next day, I got an early start shopping, and I got it ALL done in ONE DAY!! Yeah, I am just good like that, I guess. After my shopping was pretty much finished, I met my roommate from DC this summer (Anne Van Devender) at her beautiful house in Jackson. She is in the running for the funniest person I know, and I love getting to be around her....which isn't much since she goes to school in Virginia. But those few hours were definitely entertaining...oh, and she has a stuffed alligator (and multiple other animals) in her house, which kinda freaked me out. Just a random side-note. After leaving Anne's, I went to Barnes and Noble and got some coffee and sat in the floor of the store and read Bridal Magazines for a good hour. I must admit, it is one of my favorite things to do. Sad, I know...but I mean, hey, I might as well plan my wedding now...who knows if I'll have enough time when the question actually gets popped!! (disclaimer: I am not in any form of a relationship right now) After indulging my guilty pleasure for long enough, I headed to eat with some friends, which ended up being quite interesting....but fun. After dinner, we decided to get a movie...which has to do with one actual point i will make in this rambling post. Here's some advice for all of you movie-watchers: DO NOT EVER RENT "THE WENDELL BAKER STORY". Despite an all-star cast of Luke AND Owen Wilson, Eva Mendes, and even a brief appearance by Will Ferrell, this movie is pretty lame. (Well, I must say, there is ONE funny part of the movie, so if you are really in THAT much of a need for a hearty laugh, rent it and fast-forward to the grocery store scene. It's one with Will Ferrell...of course). This morning, I woke up bright and early (7 am!!) to Jack texting me, making sure I was still going to pick him up from the airport at 9:30. jerk. kidding, I couldn't really be mad at him because I was so excited about finally seeing him!! Delta lost his luggage, but it finally came in on the next flight and we made it back to Vegas in time for an afternoon latte at Bops with my mom. (By the way, Bops has a Latte machine now....everyone needs to try one out...they are LEGIT) I spent the rest of the afternoon and night hanging out with the fam...almost complete- Bo will be home tomorrow afternoon. YESS. Life is good.

No comments: