F is for FACEBOOK
duh.

I seriously don't know what I spent all of my time and energy on before this beautiful invention. Discovered in the early spring of my freshman year, I have seen facebook grow in leaps and bounds in what if offers the mindless college student in entertainment and voyeurism. We have gone from the primitive grey walls where you had no idea who wrote what unless they signed their name to their post and anyone could go in and erase your whole wall at once...remember those crazy things we would post to each other, Harris? Messages from "Mr. Belding" and other has-been celebrities appearing on our walls. wow. Moving on over the years to photo albums, personalized walls complete with a mini picture on each post, the stalker-feed, and multiple opportunities to appear cool by listing the number of photos and friends one has posted below their not-so realistic looking profile pic. Man, that facebook team really knows how to lure 'em in. Despite the slight sarcasm in the sentenc
e above, I really do love the fact that I can easily keep up with my friends that do not live near me and also maintain certain friendships with semi-friends...you know, the ones that a phone conversation would be SUPER awkward to have with, but a nice wall post or FB message is just the right amount of communication. Not only do I love FB for the virtual friendships, but how about the new bumper sticker application?! LOVE IT.
I wish I would have kept a log of the amount of time I have spent on "the book" over the ye
ars...actually, it would probably just depress me if I actually realized how much of my life has been pointlessly wasted by browsing my recently updated friend list in search of "relationship status" changes and newly posted photo albums. I am actually deliberating getting off facebook for a few weeks...at least until finals are over so that I can actually concentrate on schoolwork whenever my computer is turned on (it is my homepage, after all). But then I think of all the wall posts, messages, photo tags, and POKES I will possibly miss out on...and any notion of self-discipline immediately flies out the window. Maybe Law School will strike the final blow in defeating my facebook addiction...but until then....FACEBOOK ME (and stick me with a bumper sticker, virtual friend!)
I seriously don't know what I spent all of my time and energy on before this beautiful invention. Discovered in the early spring of my freshman year, I have seen facebook grow in leaps and bounds in what if offers the mindless college student in entertainment and voyeurism. We have gone from the primitive grey walls where you had no idea who wrote what unless they signed their name to their post and anyone could go in and erase your whole wall at once...remember those crazy things we would post to each other, Harris? Messages from "Mr. Belding" and other has-been celebrities appearing on our walls. wow. Moving on over the years to photo albums, personalized walls complete with a mini picture on each post, the stalker-feed, and multiple opportunities to appear cool by listing the number of photos and friends one has posted below their not-so realistic looking profile pic. Man, that facebook team really knows how to lure 'em in. Despite the slight sarcasm in the sentenc
I wish I would have kept a log of the amount of time I have spent on "the book" over the ye


No comments:
Post a Comment