i just didn't feel right about blogging about this one until i could see the finish line....but i am one test away...so here it comes....
G is for GRADUATION!!!
finally! i know, i know...i still have three more years of law school ahead of me..but there is just something about having that degree finally under your belt...it feels wonderful. with only one more final to take (and a ridiculously easy one, at that) i can see the end...and it looks GLORIOUS. can you tell i am glad to be finished??
Looking back over the past four years at Mississippi State, I am truly amazed at what I have learned. Mark Twain once said, "I never let school interfere with my education," and I couldn't agree more. Sure, I have learned a thing or two about empirical research and democratic theories, campaign processes and public policy...but the lessons I have learned in my day-to-day life are far more important than any literature poem or spanish verb (that i couldn't even conjugate now...love that memory of mine)
some important lessons i have learned in college worth sharing:
1. you find out what TRUE FRIENDS are in college. you also learn along the way, often through experiencing those friendships, how to BE a true friend. The ones that build you up (and you build up) are the keepers. I also learned not even to waste my time on people who I would leave feeling worse about myself than I did before I was with them. stear clear.
2. Having a solid and REAL relationship with God makes ALL the difference in your everyday life. I would know..I lived on both sides of the fence during college- most of the time riding the fence between the two- and the past year has been the most joyful and rewarding year of my life, because I have let God have control of my heart, mind, friendships, and lifestyle. Trust me..it is better that way. Once again, I would know.
3. ROAD TRIPS are the best thing that ever happened to the college experience. Whether it was football games, a concert, retreat, visiting friends' hometowns, or random trips to the beach for the weekend...you name it, I did it. and very spontaneously most of the time..which is definitely the way to go, in my opinion. Not only are the conversations in the car usually really good, but I will probably be telling my kids stories of the "good ole' days" in college and reminiscing about each road trip in great detail. they were that good. So if you are still in college...GET ON THE ROAD!
4. You feel a thousand times better about yourself when you EXERCISE. I have gone through stages in college of working out 2 or 3 times a day (that obviously didn't last too long) and not working out at all (and let me tell you, once you stop...it's SO hard to get back into it!) I think I have, over the years, found a healthy medium somewhere in there. I have more energy when I go for a walk or run during the day, and I definitely have begun to use that time alone more wisely...i do ALOT of thinking when I work out.
5. Summers should NOT be spent in school!! Unfortunately, this will be my last summer to not have to spend in the real world. The way I see college is, you have to study most of the year, and you for sure are going to have to work the rest of your post-graduation life, so why not take a few months a year in college and do something FUN? I pride myself in never having to take summer school. Did I have to take alot of classes during the semester? yep. Totally worth it. I have spent the last four summers: living/working at the beach in Florida (a brief stay...but a good one while it lasted), working a whole summer on the lake at a Christian sports camp, interning in Washington, DC (it sounds like a real job....but if you know anything about interns in DC, you know what its really all about), and this summer I will be going BACK to camp to head up the Lake Crew. makes me sad to even think about this being my last summer. so i wont.
6. I could probably go on for way longer with this post than anyone cares to read, so I think I will just end at 5. or maybe i will just give a short last one...
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MISSISSIPPI STATE.
if State is not your alma mater....I am sorry for you. truly.
(i am aware that this is not a lesson, but a statement. don't judge me for that.)
4. You feel a thousand times better about yourself when you EXERCISE. I have gone through stages in college of working out 2 or 3 times a day (that obviously didn't last too long) and not working out at all (and let me tell you, once you stop...it's SO hard to get back into it!) I think I have, over the years, found a healthy medium somewhere in there. I have more energy when I go for a walk or run during the day, and I definitely have begun to use that time alone more wisely...i do ALOT of thinking when I work out.
5. Summers should NOT be spent in school!! Unfortunately, this will be my last summer to not have to spend in the real world. The way I see college is, you have to study most of the year, and you for sure are going to have to work the rest of your post-graduation life, so why not take a few months a year in college and do something FUN? I pride myself in never having to take summer school. Did I have to take alot of classes during the semester? yep. Totally worth it. I have spent the last four summers: living/working at the beach in Florida (a brief stay...but a good one while it lasted), working a whole summer on the lake at a Christian sports camp, interning in Washington, DC (it sounds like a real job....but if you know anything about interns in DC, you know what its really all about), and this summer I will be going BACK to camp to head up the Lake Crew. makes me sad to even think about this being my last summer. so i wont.
6. I could probably go on for way longer with this post than anyone cares to read, so I think I will just end at 5. or maybe i will just give a short last one...
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MISSISSIPPI STATE.
if State is not your alma mater....I am sorry for you. truly.
(i am aware that this is not a lesson, but a statement. don't judge me for that.)


No comments:
Post a Comment