
So I just had the privilege of semi-meeting Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia at a Pre-law meeting on campus. This is HUGE. I mean, there are only 9 Supreme Court Justice's in the United States (him being one of them) and lately, it seems as though they pretty much determine EVERYTHING about our judicial system and how we should follow it. I have always loved Justice Scalia...his opinions in the cases I've read in college are usually right on with what I believe about the Constitution, etc. He is a big advocate of interpreting the strict meaning of the Constitution as our founders meant it to be, and he made a really good point in his talk today...That this kind of thinking (the strict interpretation) may not be perfect in every case, but it's a heck of a lot better than the looney's that like to think our Constitution changes like the color underwear they wear to work everyday and want to bend the Constitution to allow anything that seems appropriate in their liberal little minds at the time. (my words, not his...can you tell I'm a Republican??) Now, I don't ever want my blog posts to turn into deep political, theological, or philosophical meanderings, because I get MORE than enough of that in my classes on a daily basis..but giving a little props to a brilliant conservative Justice of our great country never hurt anybody. I am planning on going to see him again tonight...I considered just going to one of the meetings today, but I mean it's not everyday I get to meet someone doing my dream job...and doing it WELL. I would also like to point out that, MISSISSIPPI STATE, not OLE MISS, got him to come to our campus. Take that, pompous D-bags. (AND i should add that Mary Annette's (my roommate) Uncles took him hunting on her grandmother's land the other day..so I feel like that makes her, and therefore, me...a really big deal. BAM.)


No comments:
Post a Comment